Monday, June 11, 2012

Wigs, Pointe Shoes, and Craft Clay - OH MY!

It's been a pretty eventful weekend - and it hasn't been easy on the pocket book by any means!  Princess Tutu is turning out to be quite the cash drain, good thing I love her outfit so much!

So I finally got around to order some of the more important items for the princess including her toe shoes and wig and I just couldn't be more excited.  I purchased my toe shoes from Discount Dance online.  Thank goodness the princess's shoes are pink because I would just hate to have to change the color.  My roommate who is doing Princess Kraehe will have to cover her beautiful shoes in black shoe polish...how sad.  We've been slowly breaking them in.  Neither of us has done pointe although we both danced, she has far more experience under her belt but, given that the primary function of breaking these in is just so we can walk in them for hours and at least balance on pointe (both feet firmly on the ground thank you very much, I'm a walking disaster) for photos, I don't think our dance background is really relevant here.  Honestly, even this far out, I'm not sure to what to expect in terms of "breaking in". 

The hot pink on the inside is my gels...they work...mostly.

For those that care, they are Bloch Aspirations, in a 6.5 (three sizes smaller than my street size as advised by the website).  I chose these particular ones because I have an Greek foot meaning that my second toe is longer than my big toe.  In point it means I have issues with something and other and many websites suggest that I get a shoe with a wider base.  I'm glad I did, because a wider base means more width for the walking disaster to balance on.   To break them in we warm up the block, put them on and do about 10-15 minutes of basic dance exercises and about 5 minutes of balance practice.  Most of our practice happens in the first, second and fourth positions.  We do basic plie and releve in all three positions 8 times, ending with an 8 second hold in a releve at the end of each set, twice.  Since Kitty has had several years of dance, ballet included but, primarily ballroom she has a certain grace that is having to be beaten into me.  Ah, the play of the cosplay.  She also got to purchase very pretty toe shoes with a narrow box because she has a wondeful arch and great balance, not to mention the cute Egyptian foot.  Whatever.

For my wig, I went back and forth A LOT in terms of color and style.  I knew I wanted something short to build the feather hair piece around but I wasn't completely sure on the cut.  In the end it was the color that decided it for me.  It really depended on where and what I was looking at, but her hair looks like it could be anything from milkshake pink to a really dark coppery orange.  In the end I settled for something in the middle.  I purchased my wig from the Cosplay.com wig store.  I chose the wisp wig as I think it will be the easiest to build on.  I'm also excited that I will not have to do much in the way of cutting.  This will be my first attempt at a wig and I wanted to try and do the least amount of work possible so I don't scare myself from ever trying it again.  Besides I already have to build the feathered headress, which will most likely be permanently attached to the wig and that will probably have A LOT of hand sewing involved.  Don't worry my fellow cosplayers, I am not afraid of work - just afraid of work in small spaces of time.


Wisp Wig in Classic Orange

Finally, I purchased some super sculpey and some translucent sculpey to try and make the princess's necklace.  This is the part I am most nervous about.  I suspect this will be the item that makes me collapse in a defeated heap in a pool of my own tears and vomit.  If that happens I will make sure someone documents it and posts it for your good humor. Enjoy it, with only a few weeks to go and school finals looming ahead, I suspect that it will happen far more often than it should.




Well that's all for today.  There wasn't much time for much work to be done, but I am trying to keep good track of where I'm getting my supplies from in case anyone cares. Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment