Tuesday, November 20, 2012

World of Wigcraft

Yesterday, I talked about wanting to learn more about wigcraft.  I have been scouring the internet for tutorials but for every 1 tutorial that is well written with pictures that walk you through the more difficult steps, there is a dozen that leave me scratching my head.  Not to say that they helped others but, perhaps I'm just one of those hopeless causes so lost in the dark that I need a flood light to find my way out.

After the afore mentioned Princess Tutu wig disaster that I still can't bring myself to write about (suffice to say that the bangs ended up an inch too short with a bush that would make Hermonie Granger proud).
I realized I may need some professional help.  In the cosplay wigcraft community that seems to be Katie Bair.

I have my own reasons for not wanting to come back down this particular well trod path.  Years ago, I ordered some custom wigs from her and the transaction didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped.  Despite ordering the wigs months in advanced I was unable to wear them for the con I had ordered them for due to a multi-month delay (which was due to factors beyond anyone's control).  I accepted that fact and honestly didn't have much of a problem with it because I admired her work so much.  However, when she posted pictures of the wigs in her gallery she had some rather snarky comments to make about my wig choices although they were order for very specific reasons. After spending a few hundred dollars and not getting to wear them for the con, it's pretty safe to assume that my feelings were very hurt.  Perhaps the fault is partially my own.  I ended up selling one of the wigs on ebay shortly after receiving them because my opportunity to wear it had passed.  Maybe she thought I didn't like it or didn't appreciate it.  Anyhow, hurt feelings ensued and I never further pursued that particular avenue, although as always I still admired, and admire her work.

However, when one searches for a master to teach, one doesn't pass over the opportunity to learn with the best just because they made a comment one didn't like however many years ago.  I also can't say that out of all the wigs I've seen, hers aren't the best.  I'm constantly in awe of the seemingly physics defying awesomeness that are her wigs.  I knew that she had published a book, and after seeing her in person at a con years ago, giving a talk on wigs, I have faith that the book is well worth the $60.  Katie in person, was inspiring.  Just a big ball of passion, energy, and giving off this aura of being just an infinite well of creativity.

So I did it.  I broke down and bought the book. Actually I didn't just buy the book, I bought the whole damn kit.  There was very little in the way of reviews to be find so I'm not entirely sure what I got myself into.  I'm excited about the potential the book has to enhance my cosplaying experience.  I'll be doing a book review in the near future, and you can decide for yourself after seeing a few of the wigs that I create using the techniques in the book if it's a complete idiots guide or a guide purchased only by complete idiots.

Given her track record, I'll bet anything, it's the first. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment